As the owner of a small or medium-sized business, it's vital to take steps to protect your organization's passwords. But with cyber threats rapidly increasing in sophistication, this task can be more challenging than it may seem. Luckily, our Camden County IT security company has some easy and effective tips for keeping your passwords highly secure:
- Be smart about how you store your passwords – Certainly you'll want to record all of your passwords in one place so you don't have to memorize them, but it's important to be careful about how you do so. Writing your passwords on a sticky note or scrap paper makes them accessible to ill-willed employees, and saving them in a document on your computer makes them easy for hackers to get a hold of. A far more secure way to keep track of your passwords is to download a password management app such as mSecure that encrypts and stores all of them for you.
- Avoid emailing passwords – While it may be convenient, emailing account passwords to your coworkers sets the stage for a security breach to occur. With this in mind, you should discuss password changes in person whenever possible.
- Use a variety of character types – To ensure that your passwords are difficult to crack, make them at least 12 characters long and include lowercase and uppercase letters, symbols and numbers. Having a hard time coming up with a secure password? There are plenty of websites that will generate a random, hard-to-predict password for no cost!
- Take advantage of biometrics whenever possible – For devices that give you the option to log in using your fingerprint, we highly recommend using this feature. It's more secure because it makes it virtually impossible for anyone but you to gain access to the device. Not to mention it's more convenient to simply place your finger on the screen than it is to type in a password!
When you follow these simple rules, your organization's passwords will have the best possible chance of standing up to hackers and phishers. In turn, you won't have to deal with the consequences of an unauthorized individual accessing your company's sensitive information.
Need Help Securing Your Network? Contact Alura Today!
Creating strong, hard-to-guess passwords goes a long way in terms of protecting your business's network. However, there are many other necessary actions to fully safeguard your company from threats. Here at Alura Business Solutions, the IT security company Camden County trusts, we have the experience and know-how to equip your organization with everything it needs to protect its information. Our IT security company in Camden County offers:
- Enterprise Threat Management
- Mobile Device Management
- Access Control/Structured Cabling
- And Much More!
If you're ready to talk security, give us a call at 844-558-7200. And if you'd like to see even more valuable tips from our Camden County IT security company, be sure to check out our posts on securing your company's network during the holidays and protecting your company against Business Email Compromise. We can't wait to work with you!