Smartphones dedicated to business use are a great tool for small to medium businesses, as they allow employees to stay up-to-date on company happenings while at home or on the go. At the same time, however, company smartphones can also fall victim to cyber attacks just like PCs. In fact, according to RSA, mobile users are at least three times more likely than desktop users to be affected by a phishing scam. Bearing this in mind, our Mercer County mobile device management service suggests following these tips when using a smartphone for business purposes whether you're an employee or a business owner:
- Make sure you're getting apps from a trustworthy source – Many people fail to consider the fact that apps have the potential to infect a phone with malware, worms and viruses. Therefore, before downloading a new app, you should always take a bit of time to make sure the source is verifiable. You can do so by looking at the reviews and checking the permissions required by the app. If the reviews seem fishy or the app needs your location or other personal information for no apparent reason, there's a good chance it is malicious.
- Consider downloading a mobile security app on your device – To take some of the work out of evaluating apps before downloading them, add a mobile security app to your phone. This trusty tool will alert you when an app contains threats such as spyware or malware.
- Keep your OS current – As with PCs, it's essential to keep your phone's operating system updated so that you have the most recent security features on your device. Have a hard time remembering to do so? Try enabling automatic updates.
- Steer clear of open Wi-Fi networks – Open Wi-Fi networks may be convenient, but using them also makes your device very vulnerable to being hacked by a cybercriminal. In turn, you should opt for protected Wi-Fi networks whenever possible to keep your personal and company information secure.
- Regularly back up the data on your mobile device – Just in case something happens to your phone, make it a priority to back up your data in the cloud or on your computer every so often. By doing so, you'll save yourself a great deal of stress if your phone is ever lost or stolen.
By implementing these tips from our mobile device management service in Mercer County, you'll greatly reduce your chances of having the data on your work phone compromised.
Call On Alura for Expert Mobile Device Management
Want some assistance with keeping your company mobile devices safe and secure? Alura Business Solutions is here to help! As the mobile device management service Mercer County organizations trust, we offer:
- Support for Multiple Operating Systems (Apple, Linux, Microsoft and more)
- Highly Compatible Hosted Services
- Compliance Assistance
- Data Security and Protection
- Theft and Damage Protection
Ready to start taking advantage of our Mercer County mobile device management service? Call 844-558-7200 now. And while you're at it, be sure to read last week's post for tips on avoiding POS breaches. We look forward to adding you to our long list of clients!