If your small or mid-sized business handles customer data in any way, then it's vital to take security measures to protect this information, just as you do for your company's data. Failure to do so can result in customer information being stolen by hackers, leading to a loss of trust in your organization and a severely tarnished reputation. To make sure your customers' sensitive data isn't compromised, our network monitoring service in East Norriton recommends following these tips and tricks:
- Always encrypt confidential data – This step requires your company to put in a bit of extra work, but it serves as a great security defense by making it very difficult for unauthorized individuals to read your customers' sensitive records. Therefore, it's well worth the effort.
- Destroy paper documents when they are no longer in use – This one isn't just a suggestion – it's a law! Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA) Disposal Rule, organizations are required to shred or otherwise destroy customer information printed on paper once they are done using it. Taking this measure limits the amount of customer data that will be at risk if someone breaks into your company.
- Keep your devices updated – Staying up-to-date in terms of your operating system, web browser and security software will give your company maximum protection against cyberthreats that have the potential to steal customer data, such as viruses and malware.
- Limit access to customer information – As a rule of thumb, you should only allow those at your company who absolutely need to access customer data to do so. The fewer people who can view the data, the lower the chance that someone will make a mistake that compromises it.
- Use a network monitoring service – When threats to your customers' data arise, it's important to catch and address them quickly. Hiring an East Norriton network monitoring service will help you do so, thereby giving your company peace of mind that customer information isn't being compromised under the radar.
When you make use of these methods, you'll greatly decrease the risk of your customers' information falling into the wrong hands and, in turn, keep your business running smoothly.
Let's Talk Solutions – Contact Alura Today!
If you'd like some assistance with monitoring and maintaining your company's network, Alura Business Solutions is the place to contact! Since 2005, our East Norriton network monitoring service has been helping organizations of all sizes and types keep their data highly secure by identifying and eradicating threats using NetAlert and NetAudit. If you're interested in joining our client family, just give us a call at 844-558-7200. We look forward to showing you why we've gained a reputation for being a network monitoring service East Norriton organizations can rely on!